QSEC is committed to minimising the impact of our operation on the environment and as such our centre adheres to the following practices:
- Recycling bins are positioned around the QSEC grounds during major events.
- Recycling stations are situated in the administration office.
- Our manure waste from the stables is recycled by a local mushroom grower.
- Double sided printing is set as the default in our administration office to minimise paper usage.
- Paper used in our administration office is 50% recycled.
- Coffee and sugar bowls are used in our meeting rooms to reduce the waste from individually wrapped products.
Water Efficiency & Quality
- Rain water is collected from the main arena roof and stored in two 112,000 litre tanks. This water is recycled through our sprinkler system which waters the surface of the main arena as well used in all toilets.
- All toilets are run on a dual flush system and urinals are sensor activated.
- Self closing taps have been installed in all bathrooms.
- We have a ‘Switch-off Policy’ in place for all lights, air-conditioning, heating and other electronic devices for all staff to adhere to when rooms and offices are not in use.
- Sensor lights are installed in all storage areas and the administration office.
- Natural light is utilised during cleaning and set up for events where possible. The Main Arena features a large skylight which allows for use during the day without lighting.
- We actively source local businesses and suppliers where possible.
- We encourage our suppliers and food vendors to employ sustainable practices.
- All cleaning chemicals are environmentally friendly chemicals called “Smart Clean Green Products” which are environmentally friendly and ISO certified with GEKA. They are measured exactly to ensure that only the required is used and all bottles are refilled by the suppliers and reused.
- Micro fibre technology is used for cleaning which reduces the need for chemicals.
- Our cleaners are level 2 certified through ecoClean, which is an industry specific environmental program with the goal of achieving accreditation in ISO 14001 Environmental.
- Cycle racks available for those who choose to cycle to events at QSEC.
- We regularly survey our hirers and visitors to evaluate satisfaction levels and identify areas for improvement.
- Our staff are committed to the sustainable practices of our business operation.
- Our staff are actively encouraged to contribute ideas for reducing our impact on the environment during team meetings.